These delicious mustard-glazed BBQ pork chops can be on the table in under 30 minutes and are full of flavour. They work on the BBQ but can be transported inside and cooked under the grill for the perfect winter-style BBQ.
Pork chops come from the pig’s loin that runs from the shoulder to its leg. It’s essentially the back of the animal and shares similarities with chops from other animals, such as lamb. Pork loin chops would be sirloin steaks from a cow. However, pork chops may come from the centre loin, sirloin, or tenderloin.
Pork steaks do not come from the loin but instead are taken from the shoulder. As a result, they have a greater marbling and are usually bigger. These steaks are most often found cut from the bone. Either steak or loin can be used, but the bone helps keep the meat moist as it cooks. Boneless chops may result in dryer meat. Boneless pork steaks, however, have a higher fat content, which may help to reduce drying when cooked.
That said, boneless chops will cook quicker as the bone conducts heat, drawing heat away from the meat and slowing the cooking process. This is why we always need to check the internal temperature around the bone when testing for doneness.
Spice Rub for Mustard-Glazed BBQ Pork Chops
Traditionally, BBQs involve cooking over wood or charcoal, which produces a flavoured smoke that infuses the food cooking above. This mustard-glazed BBQ pork chops recipe calls for my own personal BBQ spice blend. It aims to replicate the smoky, slightly spicy notes of barbecued food while making it an easier way to cook that doesn’t involve waiting for the British sun or setting up the barbecue.
Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is ubiquitous in American BBQ traditions, and everyone seems to think they know that BBQ sauce is tomato-based. However, Caroline Mustard BBQ sauce is made from sweet American-style yellow mustard. While most BBQ sauces use tomatoes for acidity, Carolina-style BBQ sauces use vinegar to give the sauce its trademark tang.
This sauce is perfect for brushing on pork chops as they grill. Not only is it flexible, delicious, tangy, and smooth, but it’s also quick and easy to make. It contains a few ingredients found in any well-stocked pantry or store cupboard.
Mustard-Glazed BBQ Pork Chops
- 2 Pork Chops
- 2 Tbsp BBQ Spice Rub
- 2 Tbsp Veg Oil
- 4 Tbsp Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce + Plus extra to serve
- Salt / Pepper to taste
- Watercress to serve
- Preheat an overhead grill to hot.
- Season the pork chops with BBQ spice rub, salt, black pepper, and a drizzle of oil.
- Place the chops under the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, then brush with BBQ sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the chops over, brush with BBQ sauce and return to the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes and brush with more BBQ sauce, then grill for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat until the pork chops are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, brush with a little extra BBQ sauce, and allow to rest for five minutes.
- Serve with watercress and extra bbq sauce.