Honey, mustard, & pork are combined so often that it could be considered a holy trinity. These honey & mustard glazed sausages prove it.
Choosing the Sausages
In developing this recipe, I used a traditional British sausage, the Cumberland sausage. Traditionally, these sausages are usually rolled into a ring and grilled. But nowadays, they can be found in conventional sausage form. Cumberland sausages are spiced with black pepper and spices, giving them a mild heat. However, any pork sausage of your choosing would work here. However, it’s always worth looking at the meat content, as cheaper bangers can contain as little as 30% meat.
There’s no reason you couldn’t substitute the pork sausages for a beef, chicken sausage, or any other sausage you like, even a veggie sausage. However, pork’s fat content makes it the ideal meat for a sausage, which the other alternatives fail to replicate.
Ingredients for Honey & Mustard Glazed Sausages
Honey – The many honey varieties can earn the sweet nectar its own article. I prefer to use a runny honey in a squeezy bottle as it’s easier to handle.
Wholegrain Mustard – Wholegrain mustard is a combination of whole mustard seeds mixed with other ingredients. These ingredients vary from brand to brand, so choose a brand you like and can afford. You can also make wholegrain mustard at home.
Thyme- Thyme has a delicate flavour compared to rosemary. However, I tend to see these two woody herbs as interchangeable with most recipes, depending on my preference.
Variations of Honey & Mustard Glazed Sausages
Honey & Mustard Glazed Chicken – Replace the sausages with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and roast at 200C for 35-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Maple & Mustard Glazed Sausages – Follow the recipe below, but replace the honey with good maple syrup.
Easy Canape – Replace the sausages with 32 cocktail sausages, line a baking tray with parchment paper and roast at 200C for 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the oven, drizzle with the honey and mustard mixture and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve with cocktail sticks to pick up the hot sausages.
Honey and Mustard Glazed Sausages
- 8 Good Quality Pork Sausages
- 2 Tbsp Runny Honey
- 2 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 Tsp Thyme Picked
- Preheat a grill on a high heat.
- Line a grill tray with kitchen foil and place the sausages on the lined tray. Place the sausages under the grill for 15 minutes, turning repeatedly to ensure even colouring.
- In a bowl, combine the mustard, honey, and thyme.
- Once the sausages have been browned, remove them from beneath the grill, brush them with the honey and mustard mix, and place them under the grill for 1 minute.
- Remove the sausages again and turn them, brush the sausages and grill again. Repeat until the mixture has been used and the links are evenly coated.
- Leave to cool for a minute as the honey becomes extremely hot.