This veggie halloumi and broccoli stir fry boasts sweet, spicy and savoury notes.Serves 2
Halloumi is a Greek cheese most associated with a squeak hence its endearing nickname “squeaky cheese.” However, it stands up well to heat and a touch of sweetness boosts its savouriness. Grilled or pan-fried, halloumi turns a deep golden brown which adds a nuttiness to its unique flavour. Here, it’s stir-fried first for colour, then added to a stir fry with sweet chilli sauce.
30ml Vegetable Oil
120g Halloumi, Sliced
1 Large Garlic Clove, Finely Sliced
½ Thumb Sized Piece of Ginger, Peeled, and Thinly Sliced
½ Large Onion, Thinly Sliced
140g Tenderstem Broccoli, Trimmed, Thicker Stems Halved
1 Medium Carrot, Julienne
150g Egg Noodles
1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
3 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
4 Spring Onions, Thinly Sliced
Toasted Sesame Seeds to garnish
Sliced Chili, to garnish
- Heat half of the sunflower oil in a large wok until the pan is almost smoking. Stir fry the halloumi and toss until it begins to turn golden brown, then drain and set aside.
- Wipe the Wok clean, then add back to the heat and add the remaining sunflower oil. Allow the oil to almost smoke.
- Stir fry the garlic and ginger continuously for 1 minute to allow their flavour to infuse the oil but not enough to colour. Add the onions and stir fry repeatedly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes until the broccoli begins to soften slightly then add the carrots and beansprouts.
- Continue stir fry until the beans and carrots are hot, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes until the egg noodles are heated through.
- Drizzle the soy sauce around the perimeter of the pan and toss through. Repeat the process with the sesame oil. And then, the sweet chilli.
- Divide amongst plates and serve topped with the spring onions, chilli, and sesame seeds.