This super easy roasted Cajun sweet potato salad is cooled with a tangy chive and buttermilk dressing.
There may seem a lot of elements to this salad, but it’s a simple and healthy salad. Firstly, the sweet potatoes need to be roasted with some Cajun seasoning. Cajun seasoning can be quite spicy but its potency will be lost to the crunchy salad vegetables, and roasting. What’s left behind will be more flavour permeated by a subtle cayenne heat. It’s important to let the sweet potatoes cool fully before adding them to the other salad vegetables or you’ll risk wilting them, particularly the salad leaves. You can find more on Cajun cuisine by following this Cajun barbecued chicken recipe.
A delicious homemade Cajun seasoning recipe is on its way!!
The cajun sweet potato salad will still have a slight kick to it, but the buttermilk dressing will counteract the sweetness of the salad vegetables while tempering the heat. To make the dressing, simply mix all the listed ingredients together, and serve. The recipe lists 2 tablespoons, but you can use more or less to suit your tastes.
Cajun Sweet Potato Salad with Chive & Buttermilk Dressing
- ½ Red Onion Sliced
- 1 Red Pepper Sliced
- 1 Green Pepper Sliced
- 1 Stick of Celery Sliced
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes Washed, and Diced
- 1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Garlic Clove Crushed
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Handful Watercress or Rocket, Washed
Chive and Buttermilk Dressing
- 200 ml Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Chives Finely Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- ¼ Tsp Paprika
- Juice ½ Lime
- Salt / Pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- In a clean bowl, mix the sweet potato with the olive oil, garlic, and Cajun seasoning. Lie on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender and begin to brown. Set aside and leave to cool.
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a screw-top bottle and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, toss the cooled sweet potatoes together with the other salad ingredients. Dress with 2 Tbsp of the chive and buttermilk dressing. Store the remainder in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Season to taste and spoon into serving dishes.