This quick and spicy Cajun barbecue chicken is perfect for cooking outdoors or indoors under a hot grill.
What is Cajun?
Cajun cuisine refers to food originating from the 18th-century Cajun Arcadians who were deported from French Arcadia to Louisiana. Cajun draws inspiration from classical French, Spanish and West African cuisines. The heat in Cajun cuisine typically comes from cayenne Pepper. Garlic and Black pepper also play a key supporting role.
Cajun seasonings are readily available but aren’t necessarily traditional, because Cajun Seasoning is often done from scratch and to the cook’s taste. The cuisine itself is considered rustic as it utilises local foods available at the time, meaning a set list of ingredients would prove difficult to stick to.
A perfect homemade Cajun seasoning recipe will be available soon!
Cooking Cajun Barbecue Chicken
Barbecuing is a key cooking technique in Cajun cuisine where the climate suits outdoor cookery. The UK rarely has barbecue weather, but this recipe can be enjoyed year-round with a hot oven, or air fryer. The brown sugar helps balance Spice while giving this Cajun barbecue chicken a Charred, caramel flavour.
Cajun Barbecue Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Juice from 1 Lime
- 4 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- 45 ml Olive Oil
- Salt to Taste
- In a bowl, mix the chicken with the Cajun seasoning, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and olive oil. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- When ready, heat an overhead grill.
- Grill the chicken for 10-12 minutes on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 75C. The surface of the chicken will begin to blacken as the sugar caramelises which is normal.
- Allow the chicken to rest, then slice to serve.
Marinate the chicken, then heat the BBQ to medium heat, and grill the chicken breasts for 10-12 minutes on either side until cooked through and juices run clear. To Air Fry Cajun Chicken –
Preheat the air fryer to 200C and cook for 18-20 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 75C.